Sunday, May 30, 2010

Watershed: Spring Thaw XC May 15, 2010


I think there's a relationship between how far I have to drive for a race, and how long it takes me to write it up.

A couple weekends ago, I drove over 1600 miles, round trip, to race twenty some miles in Ashland, Oregon. The siren song that wooed me north: the legendary Spring Thaw cross country mountain bike race.

Ok, I admit, it wasn't just that race that inspired me to spend twenty-seven hours in a car by myself. I lived in southern Oregon for two years; Cycle Analysis in Jacksonville was the first shop to invite me onto their team.

They host a local short track series that I raced in the spring of 2006, during which I famously attached my toddler's portable high chair to the leg of the registration table. With him in it.

I checked on him every lap. He was happy watching all the wheels go by, I swear.

I did win the series, but it wasn't that much of a feat, as there were precious few women racing in the B's. Still, at awards, I stood around while Richard Hogan tossed prizes from the back of his truck. Heather, who swept the elite category, got the new handlebar computer she needed. "Someday, I'll catch her," I vowed admiringly.

Right about then, Richard sailed a team jersey in my direction. It was what I very wanted. For the next two years, I rode up the same mountain every Wednesday night with Cycle A, returning at dusk to a home cooked meal that the shop owner set out.

I did catch Heather, eventually, but only because she took some time off to lead Brownie troops and help her husband organize pocket bike races. Last year, they watched my children for five days so I could race at Nationals. Friends are the family members you get to pick out for yourself. If you're really lucky, they'll adopt you in return.

My husband didn't think our old van should make the trip, so I indulgently rented a car. The fine gentlemen at Hertz in Pacific Beach upgraded me to a Mazda 6. The engine sounds the most smooth at 90 mph. Not that I would know. But it really does.




It took me so long to get through Los Angeles that, even with occasional illegal pedal pushing, that after twelve straight hours, I had only reached Redding, and it was after one in the morning. I rented a room at the Motel 6 and took a very expensive nap.

Sometimes, changes in plan lead to unexpected delights.

Saturday morning, race day, I left Redding in the dark, and reached Mt. Shasta just as the sun came up. The mountains glowed in the morning light as I wound my way up and out of California. State of Jefferson, metal cow, dragon.






I crested the pass and dropped down the foothills of Mt. Ashland into the Rogue Valley. The weather was perfect, but a rainbow still welcomed me. Hooooooome, the engine purred.

I usually feel queasy before races, better-bring-a-bucket sick.

Not this morning.

I greeted the batch of single speeders. Twenty guys, and me. One of them was Joe Davis, director of the Cycle Analysis team. Trip after trip up John's Peak, I used to make fun of the way he paper routed his single speed up the hill. "I think I'll need my knees when I'm old," I said from my perch on a geared bike.

Two years later, there he was, still smiling, twenty pounds lighter and in a monster gear, ready to exact some friendly revenge. All those guys must have been part Sasquatch, because no one had a gear anywhere near as easy as my 32/20.

The original Sasquatch sighting is only about fifteen miles from Mt. Ashland, did you know that? I've been there. I didn't see anything.

At the start, I also chatted with Jeremy Whose Last Name I Don't Know But See Him At Race After Race In San Diego. He was up north on vacation with his family, and decided to try out the Thaw. He was confused by the lack of leg markings, category signs, perceptible starting gun.
Ready, go, and all the categories left at once in a mass start. There was plenty of road to sort ourselves out, though. Miles of it, in fact. Miles, I tell you.

Just when you think you can't stand another foot of fire road, you reach the Horn Gap singletrack. And ride up that, too. Those deceptively pretty pine trees drop lots of needles. Vertical duff is as soul sucking as cyclocross sand pits.

But at the top, there's an aid station, and a left hand turn onto the rim road that circles the Ashland watershed.

Twelve miles of fire road that slope slightly downhill.

Next year, I'll bring a bigger gear. A bouquet of big gears. If I let my leg hair grow out, maybe I can run a 36 on the front like the locals. And don't doubt me that I'm driving up again. The 2011 race will be the 20th annual, not to be missed.

In any case, around the back, I spun tiny circles for an eternity and a half. The trees all looked alike, with no view of the valley, and it started to feel like I was on a stationary trainer with video footage sliding past. Everyone I passed on the way up caught me and then left me in the dust. Even the guy with white tennis shoes. Dang. I am not judging your footwear, sir, but I do feel that I should be able to keep up with you since my clipless pedals theoretically grant advantage.

Oh, just shoot me. I spent well over an hour pedaling in an aerodynamic crouch, trying to eke every last bit of momentum out of the bike.





Much of the day and change that I spent driving to the race I daydreamed about the endlessly long downhill, the payoff for all that climbing. Catwalk, Alice, Toothpick, BTI, I'll be there soon. Sooooooon. Oops, speeding again.

By the time I got to Four Corners, though, my back hurt so badly that it was all I could do to navigate safely down. I cruised down the pavement toward the finish with my right thigh on the seat, bent over so I could rest my upper body on my leg. I wasn't trying to blaze across the line; I just couldn't sit up any longer.

Two hours and forty-one minutes put me 18th out of 21. Meh. I did catch Toe Clip Guy on the way down, but still never achieved the sensation of flight that keeps me paying entry fees race after race.

As much as the race itself was mildly disappointing, just being there at all felt like a miracle. Awards were held at the Lithia Park bandshell, and I shared a blanket with Joe's wife and sweet babies, the second of which I hadn't met before.

Beautiful day, beautiful mountains. beautiful people. Who's in for next year?



6 comments:

John Hinke said...

I'm glad you could make it up. Maybe come up for a few more days next time? There are lots of new trails to explore.

Maybe ask Joe to create a Women's SS category. I know they have a Women's SS category at some of the short track in Portland this year. Why not the Spring Thaw next year?

Joe Davis said...

So glad to see you up here, Everyone has missed the commentary. Note for next year, a 36tooth is VERY PAINFULL!!! I don't think I will be doing that one again, may knock it down to a 34, or just stick with a 2:1 ratio(for 26 wheeled) 32/18 for a 29er.

Martha said...

You rock Madame Kathryn! The pictures are fantastic and reading your description is a delicious way to begin the day... ROLL ON GIRL!

Rowdy said...

ahhhhh, is that final pic Lythia park?

i used to live in K-Falls, just over the hill. memories....

i'm actually going up this month from san diego to race the mt ashland super D.

thanks for the good write up!!

Tom LaPointe said...

cool article!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really delighted to discover this. Good job!